British Rapidplay Chess Championships
The British Rapidplay Chess Championships is a rapid play chess congress held in the UK annually since 1986 (with the exception of 1993) under the auspices of the English Chess Federation. The UK's premier weekend rapidplay congress includes The British Rapidplay Championship open to all players, and several grading restricted and junior tournaments. The tournament takes place over two days and consists of 11 rounds of chess . There are Open, Major, Intermediate, Minor and Junior categories. The event has been held in Leeds, Bradford and Halifax over the years.
- The Open winner in 2010 was Grandmaster (GM) David Howell, scoring 10½/11.
- The 25th anniversary event took place at Leeds Metropolitan University, Headingley, Leeds on November 19 and 20, 2011. The Open winner was GM Gawain Jones scoring 10½/11 points.
- The 2012 event took place again at the L.M.U. on November 24th and 25th. The winner was Jonathan Hawkins IM with 9/11.
- The 2013 event was played on November 23/24th, at Leeds Metropolitan University, Headingley and was won by GM Mark Hebden with 9.5/11.
- The 2014 event took place on November 1st and 2nd, and saw Jonathan Hawkins G.M. win with 10.5/11. Leeds Beckett University was the venue and saw a good turnout in all the main events. The event saw its 20th consecutive year under the British Rapidplay Chess Organization - Secretary B.Kitson, Treasurer S.Burton, Website S.Forbes, Honorary President M.Dow.
- The 2015 event took place at Leeds Beckett University on the 31st October/November 1st.
The Joint Winners were G.M. Mark Hebden and I.M. Ameet Ghasi .
- The 2016 event takes place on November 26/27th 2016 at Leeds Beckett University
British Rapidplay Chess Champions