Read main articles: Contract bridge, Bidding system, Bridge convention and Glossary of contract bridge terms
Brozel is a contract bridge bidding convention used to intervene after an opposing one notrump (1NT) opening bid. It features the following calls:
- Double - shows any single suit; advancer bids 2♣, after which intervenor corrects to his actual suit (or passes with clubs). This was originally played as requiring either a solid suit or a very good suit and an entry, leaving advancer the opportunity to pass with a couple of side-suit stoppers, though many partnerships now allow a weaker suit.
- 2♣ - shows clubs and hearts
- 2♦ - shows diamonds and hearts
- 2♥ - shows hearts and spades
- 2♠ - shows spades and an unspecified minor suit
- 2NT - shows clubs and diamonds
The convention is named loosely after its creator, Bernard Zeller.